BRL: Braille through Remote Learning
Introduction to Braille
Special Codes Course
BRL Reference Desk
Summary of Rules
Braille only contractions
Braille Formats (BANA rules for transcribing textbooks)
Flashcard program (Java)
American Printing House for the Blind (APH)
Braille Authority of North America (BANA)
National Braille Association (NBA)
National Library Service (NLS, Library of Congress)
11. Double-letter contractions bb, cc, dd, ff, and gg and the Contraction ea
- Are subject to the general rules for the use of contractions and to the rules for lower-sign contractions.
- May be used only between letters and/or contractions within a word. May never begin or end a word.
- May not overlap a major syllable division, but may overlap a minor syllable division if this does not obscure recognition of the word.
- May never be in contact with the apostrophe or the hyphen.