BRL: Braille through Remote Learning
Introduction to Braille
Special Codes Course
BRL Reference Desk
Summary of Rules
Braille only contractions
Braille Formats (BANA rules for transcribing textbooks)
Flashcard program (Java)
American Printing House for the Blind (APH)
Braille Authority of North America (BANA)
National Braille Association (NBA)
National Library Service (NLS, Library of Congress)
3. Single-letter Contractions
- May represent whole words only, and no letters or contractions may be added to form other words.
||(Er)(in) Go Bra(gh)
||do, re, me, so
- May be followed by the apostrophe
- To form familiar conbinations, but never rare or colloquial forms.
- To form possessives.
||(Ed) (More)'s dog
- May be used with the hyphen
- To form hyphenated compound words.
- But may never form parts of words divided at the end of a line or parts of syllabized words.
- Require the double capital sign when fully capitalized.